update:

I shipped the flash to Pentax repairs in Colorado. I briefly considered
disassembly here to see if I could fix it myself but decided there was a 1 in a
1000 chance that I'd be able to fix it and a 1 in 2 chance that I'd break it
even worse. I didn't like those odds.

I'll report back when I hear from Pentax.

Thank you to those who offered suggestions. Thank you to the rest of you for
not busting by stones.

Tom Reese