Hi Wendy,

Given that you own a 50-500 what is the effective maximum apterture at 400mm ?

I intend to shoot sports (usually in good light we are blessed with
that here).  and nature photography.  The down side of the 100-300 is
that to gain the 420mm focal length you have to fiddle with adding the
T/C which may not be practical in an "action" situation this means
that I will end up using it with the TC most of the time.

Regards

Patrick

On 8/21/07, wendy beard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have both of those lenses, but I don't have the TC to compare the
> quality difference if the 1.4x tc is used.
> I'm selling my 50-500 (posted here approx 2 weeks ago) as I don't need
> the reach.
> Also I find it a little large and unwieldy as it lengthens when zoomed
> out fully.
>
> Wendy
>
> On 8/19/07, Patrick Genovese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm going to be needing a long telezoom approx 400mm at the long end
> > for nature photography ... the 50-500 seems to be very popular for
> > this type of photography. How does it compare with 100-300 + 1.4x TC
> > combo ?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Patrick Genovese
> >
> > --