----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Cakalic"
Subject: Re: A Gray Matter

>I might be mistaken, but I think in many cases that 'accesses' to private
> property are also considered valid for certain public use unless they are
> posted as "No Trespassing" and even then maybe there's a disconnect
> between
> the law and the way things really work (and of course the laws are
> different
> depending where you are).
>
> For instance, a walkway to one's door is generally used by the public...
> delivery man, repair man, sales man...even though that walkway runs
> through
> one's yard.

Delivery people and the like (the paper boy, mailman, whatever), are
generally considered to be invitees, and are automatically granted limited
access to your property to conduct their business. The same with meter
readers, who are granted access to your yard to do what they need to do.
This does not, however, grant the casual pedestrian permission to use your
property as a shortcut, that would be considered tresspassing.
I believe that in the specific instance which brought us to this discussion,
the photographer would be considered a casual pedestrian rather than an
invitee, and would be allowed on private property at the owners suffrance,
and not because she had any particular right to be there.

William Robb