I hate to break it to you, but in the USA, Pentax *is* a "2nd tier camera
company".  The company hasn't released a truly professional system camera
here (or anywhere, actually) since the LX.  The current high-end Pentax lens
selection is miniscule compared to Canon and Nikon.  Pentax does not provide
the kind of professional support that Canon and Nikon do at major sporting
events.  Pentax products lack presence on store shelves in the USA.  Etc.