I can't see non-645 owners jumping to a 645D in masses.  The 645D would be a
low volume seller compared to a 24 x 36 FF body.  If used glass is so
readily available, Pentax would not be making money there.

OTOH, if a 24 x 36 FF priced-within-reason body was released, a large number
of current Pentax owners would likely upgrade.  Pentax has the lens know-how
to make the lenses.  I was under the impression that Pentax has sold quite a
number of extremely nice 35 mm lenses over the years, A, FA, etc.  It hasn't
just been all consumer zooms and cheap 50mm primes.

The market changes fast.  I think Pentax missed the mark with the 645D.  If
it was released 2 years ago it might have had a chance.  But, as you point
out, much of the MF market has already gone to the high end Canons.

Personally, I think releasing a high-priced, non-main-stream camera body
right now would be just about the stupidest move Pentax could make.  It's
sales would be dwarfed by the continued popularity of high end Canons and
now the D3.  Pentax needs to sell as many bodies and lenses as possible,
plus look competitve in the marketplace.  I don't see the 645 filling that
spot.

Tom C.