With the caveat regarding who knows about Pentax?...

I'd take a full frame sensor that did very well between 200 - 400 ISO any
day (ISO 800) w/b nice, over any sensor that had marginal high ISO
performance at 1600 and above.  I find any photo I take at 1600 or higher
with the *ist D to be, while documentary, not worth a heck of alot
otherwise. I am loathe to set ISO over 800.

Thinking back to film, I rarely shot anything over 400, and many times I was
pushing 100 two stops to get 400.  When I needed more light gathering
ability the camera was on a tripod and I used longer shutter speeds.

I wouldn't mind that at all because I find the high ISO performance of
DSLR's to be no more desirable than the performance of high ISO films.

Who *seriously* shoots at ISO1600+ and gets results they would rave about?
For my kind of photgraphy it doesn't work near as well as a lower ISO and a
tripod.

Tom C.