From: "William Robb"

> Hi, I just bought a new rig. The guy who did the initial install for
> me set up a 2 drive RAID array, apparently they are "striped". Could
> some kind soul please explain in really small words and easy to
> understand concepts just exactly what this is? The array is 2 500gb
> drives that show as a single 1tb drive. Thanks

It's called RAID 0

Basically it breaks the files down into two parts and writes half of it
to each drive, alternating between the drives ... with a text file it
might write out something like:

Line 1 = Drive 1 stripe 1
Line 2 = Drive 2 stripe 1
Line 3 = Drive 1 stripe 2
Line 4 = Drive 2 stripe 2
Line 5 = Drive 1 stripe 3
Line 6 = Drive 2 stripe 3

So that if either disk crashes, you've essentially lost all the data
from both disks. E.G. if disk 2 crashes, you're left with

Line 1 = Drive 1 stripe 1
no data
Line 3 = Drive 1 stripe 2
no data
Line 5 = Drive 1 stripe 3
no data

If you lose part of a file on one disk, the rest of the file on the
other disk is un-recoverable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

If you're worried about losing data, you want RAID 1 or if you can
afford it RAID 5 (or RAID 6 or a nested set RAID 1+0)