On 10/29/07, Scott Loveless <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> William Robb wrote:
> > Hi, I just bought a new rig.
> > The guy who did the initial install for me set up a 2 drive RAID array,
> > apparently they are "striped".
> > Could some kind soul please explain in really small words and easy to
> > understand concepts just exactly what this is?
> > The array is 2 500gb drives that show as a single 1tb drive.
> > Thanks
> >

> Bill,
>
> You have RAID 0, which means that half of your data is stored on one
> drive, and the other half is stored on the other drive.  Your system
> will read and write from both drives simultaneously, meaning that parts
> of one file could be on one drive and the rest on the other.  This,
> theoretically, speeds up read/write times.
>
> Here's my opinion:  You don't need it.  Should you have a drive failure,
> you'll pretty much lose everything on both drives.  While there are
> performance improvements, I can't think of why a single user on a
> desktop machine needs them.  RAID 0 is intended for high throughput
> environments.  RAID 0 should also be mirrored, with either an identical
> RAID 0 setup or a single drive that's twice the size of the other two.
> You're much better off mirroring those drives so that if you have a
> failure you haven't lost anything.  Add drives as needed for additional
> storage.

My system that had a hard drive failure while I was overseas, was
configured as RAID 0. I currently have a RAID 0/1 matrix (RAID 0
partition for OS, RAID 1 partition for data)

The performance improvements of RAID 0 over RAID 1, are noticabe IMO
when working on large Photoshop files. It's good for a PS or video
editing workstation, but I wouldn't rely on RAID 0 for file storage.

Cheers,

Dave