On 03/11/07, David Savage, discombobulated, unleashed:

>So my question: Has anyone here ever tried to use these two pieces of
>kit together? Can any of our Canon owners confirm that it actually
>works as described.

I have the EF70-200 2.8 L IS and it has a tripod collar but it's
different from the one you mention:

<http://www.entique.com.au/canon_70-200_2.8L_usm_lens_big.jpg>

I took it off and measured the internal dia. and that's 77mm. You see
the locking screw is parallel to the tripod mount. You unscrew it a tiny
amount and it allows the lens to rotate 360 deg, with detents every 90 deg.

This one:

<http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Tripod-Mount-Ring-A-II-
Review.aspx>

looks different on the inside to mine. this one is smooth, like it fits
in a channel? Mine has a channel on the inside of the collar and there
are raised positioning guides on the lens.

The f/4 mount looks like it would fit on the Pentax, but whether or not
you could use it in a quick rotation scenario from (say) horizontal to
vertical remains to be seen. Go find someone with a f/4 lens and be polite :-)

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__