I grew up in Rutland Vermont. When I was little, Dad took me to the River
Road Bridge many times where we would watch the steam trains being built in
the Rutland yard. Sometimes we went down Scales Avenue to watch the action
at the roundhouse and turntable. Grandfather had taken Dad to the very same
places to watch the steam behemouths, to hear them chug and hiss and strain
accelerating under load.

http://users.rcn.com/jimdu4/mountain.htm

For more information on the Rutland Road, see:

http://users.rcn.com/jimdu4/

Before he died, I bought Dad a book called "The Rutland Road", by Jim
Shaughnessy. Dad had alzheimers and had trouble remembering the present, but
his grip on the past was still excellent. He loved the book and spent many
hours looking at the photos of a world passed by.

It's been several years now since Dad passed. I miss the trains, I miss the
yard, I still miss him. Looking this up has made me cry again.

Regards,
Bob...