Dave, yours may be a true observation though I never found it to be an
obstacle. First of, I still think that by opening aperture (and the lens
is fast enough) you can decrease sharpness... And of course there are
various soft filters too.

I think it would be far worse if the lens lacked sharpness and
resolution, because if you have something you can let it go, but the
other way around is rather impossible to achieve ;-)...

Just my cents.