----- Original Message -----
From: "mike wilson"
Subject: Re: FA 77mm Ltd. - An observation

> Boris Liberman wrote:
>
>> First of, I still think that by opening aperture (and the lens
>> is fast enough) you can decrease sharpness...
>
> Hmmm.  You can decrease the depth of the plane of focus but you can't
> (afaik) decrease the sharpness of it.  Thereby giving a softer look to
> more of the picture.  Is that what you mean?

Technically, most lenses are not as good wide open as they are stopped down
a bit (the old adage f8 and be there hints at this).
As you point out though, as you open up the lens, you are also decreasing
depth of field, which may not be what you want to do, and the lens probably
won't go soft enough just by opening the aperture, especially the 77mm,
which is very good wide open.

William Robb