Far as I'm aware, nothing changed in this regard with the *ist DS up
to the last firmware.

Best solution is to not rely upon the in-camera numbering to always
produce unique file names. It's easy for the camera to get thrown off
by what's on the card. I download files into folders organized by
"YYYYMMDD-event" names to prevent name collisions. Another scheme is
to use a utility when downloading that renames the files based on
some criteria, like perhaps the timestamp of their creation, so that
they look like "YYYYMMDDhhmmss.PEF" or something similar.

Godfrey