Not sure I can quantify the difference...the images out of the 17-50
just don't seem to "pop" the way the ones from the 28-75 did, for me
at least. Keep in mind that I used them on 2 different bodies: the
28-75 on the *istD and the17-50 on the D200. I'm considering selling
the 17-50 and maybe at some point getting the Nikon 17-55 if I feel
the need. I agree, at 1/3 the cost of the Nikon, the Tam is a great
value, which is why I got it instead, but I just don't like it as
much.

Amita