My cameras always hang from my neck. Yes, I know it's not cool, but
it's efficient.
Why?
First, the camera can't be dropped unless my neck or the strap
breaks. Not true on the shoulder, unless your body is notched.
Second, it's always in position to shoot. Don't have to take it off
the shoulder and wrap it around the wrist or whatever. I just shoot.
Back some thirty years ago when I shot a lot of motorsports, all the
photogs hung their cameras from their necks when they weren't on a
tripod. But that was in the days before a camera around the neck
became evocative of a tourist and therefore very unhip.
Paul.