"It appears that at 16mm the lens is not focused all the way to infinity
but the resulting pictures of remote objects are still as sharp as they
can get (well within DOF) even at f2.8."

Antti, what you are describing is a lens with a defect--apparently a
fairly common defect. Your images still appear approximately okay
because at 16 mm the depth of field is so great.

On my K20D, the DA* 16-50 at 16 mm would not autofocus beyond the 2 m
mark. That is, it would not autofocus to infinity. If I focus manually
to infinity the images are much sharper. So the lens is front-focusing
badly at this focal length. From 18 to 50 mm the lens focuses to
infinity just fine.

My K20D and both of my DA* zoom lenses have been sent to Pentax to be
repaired.

Joe