Dave,

The teacher of photographic composition in my third year of photography
school told a story that is apt for your diptych.  He took a locally
successful exhibition to China in the '70s, but at its first showing it got
a disappointing reception.  Upon investigation he found that the pictures
didn't "flow" to Chinese eyes.  What he realized was that principles of
movement in composition are highly connected to the written language of the
viewer.  So occidental eyes prefer top to bottom and left to right movement
(or sequence) in pictures.  Oriental eyes want movement (or sequence)that
goes right to left and bottom to top.  He reprinted the show with the
negatives flipped and got a better response.

The sequence of your pic seems to put the ground level drain on the left
before the higher leaky barrel? pipe? or whatever which is on the right,
therefore later in the narrative.  But that object was placed higher in
space, leading to the discomforting conclusion that water has flowed
upwards.

Flip the picture yourself and see what you think.  There will still be the
disparity of a high level object and a ground level object being placed
side-by-side on the same viewing level, but at least the narrative will flow
(pardon the pun) in a natural sequence to Western eyes.

Regards,
Anthony Farr