Dave,

Amazingly  the additional information you supplied went a long way to
resolving the visual anomaly.  Once I knew that the downpipe was actually
higher than the leak the laws of nature were restored.  Objects that were
unfamiliar to me had been isolated to the extent that they lacked contextual
information from their surroundings.  But thanks to your correction I can
see that what I took to be the lowest object, the downpipe outlet, is
actually the highest object.  However, picturing it from above has made it
appear lower, while picturing the leaky tank from below has made it appear
higher.

Yours is a good concept well worth the telling.  What I'm getting at is that
when you put images into sequences you should maintain a stylistic and
relational consistency throughout.  If you look at photo sequences you'll
often find an element from one shot is carried over to the next to link the
series, Godfrey's triptych that you reference
<http://homepage.mac.com/godders/59-focusing.jpg> is very tight in this
respect.  And if the jump from one shot to the next is great, then there
shouldn't be other big changes such as viewing angles and perspectives.  But
here you have a close shot with wide FOV, deep DOF and a downward POV
followed by a long shot with narrow FOV, shallow DOF and upward POV.  Added
to the fact that no part of one shot is visible in the other and the
relationship between the two shots is substantially broken.  Hell, even the
metal of the tank is rendered so differently that it isn't obviously the
same tank.  Perhaps the second shot should include the downpipe.

Of course rules are made to be broken, I hear my critics shout.  And it's
true that a diptych, triptych or whatever isn't necessarily a
photo-series/sequence, it may simply be a grouping of abstractly connected
images.  True, but Dave's diptych is definitely a sequence, and would work
better if scene-building rules such as cinematic or theatrical rules were
used as a guide.

If you think I'm being harsh, it's because I've seen such excellent work
from you on other occasions.

Regards,
Anthony Farr

:-)