Mark, you and others make some good points. However, I have talked to
our local "full service" camera/hobby store and they told some pretty
dreary stories about how the Pentax rep would rarely visit their store
or do much of any communicating. Eventually the store owners just
dropped Pentax from the line. They lament that they would love to
carry Pentax but it's hard to do meaningful business with a voice on
the other end of a phone or via cryptic emails.
One of the owners gave me the name and phone number of a camera store
in another "southern" city that sold tons of Pentax gear because they
had a responsive sales rep. I was very surprised to learn it was the
very same store in the city I grew up in and where I bought all my
photo gear as a young teen just getting into the hobby. That was over
50 years ago. For any store to not only survive but even flourish in
this day and era says a lot about how they do business.

Walt