----- Original Message -----
From: "Delano Mireles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 3:06 PM
Subject: question on damaged negs

> Hi all,
>
> I've recently run into some problems with negatives I've
received back from
> the local minilabs.  There seem to be some scratches on the
negatives that
> I've received back after developments and prints.  It is a bit
weird because
> the prints do not show any lines/scratches.  This has happened
twice and I'm
> concerned whether it be my camera who is the culprit - maybe
scratching the
> film as it feeds through or the minilab.
>
> Is there a way to tell whether the lines/scratches are a
result of the
> minilab or camera?  I really feel that it is the minilab
because of the
> prints and the fact that I developed a roll in between  taking
rolls to two
> different labs and there are no scratches on that roll.  Yet,
it seems odd
> that I would run into the same problem between 2 different
labs.

> How do these minilab processing machines work?  Do the
employees roll the
> film on reels and process or does the machine simply take the
film and auto
> roll?
>
> Thanks for any help y'all can provide

Generally, minilabs run the film one roll at a time by taping
the film to a leader card which pulls the film through the
machine. Depending on the processor and the amount of maintenace
it recieves, these machines can do a lot of damage.
It is also possible to scratch the film during printing or
sleeving.
A good way to see if it is the machine or the camera is to look
to see where the scratch ends. If it ends at the last frame
exposed, it is most likely camera induced. If it goes right to
the end of the film, it is likely the lab. If the scratch comes
and goes, likely it is the film processor.
A good way to pin down the lab on a scratch is to sacrifice a
roll of film, and run it through the camera, then pull the film
entirely out of the cassette and check for scratches. If the
film is unscratched, run it through the film processor and check
again for scratches. If the film still shows no scratches, run
it through the printer and check again. Finally run it through
the sleever.

<unrelated to the topic>
>From a lab operators perspective, film scratches are,
unfortunately, directly related to how demanding the
photographer is. The more demanding the photographer, the more
redo prints we make. The more times the film is run through the
machinery, the more chance there is of scratching it. I think it
is better to take a slightly substandard machine print to avoid
scratched negs than to insist that every speck of dust be gone
and that the shadow side of Aunt Jemmy isn't slightly magenta.
The nature of minilabs is such that it is difficult to provide
perfect prints first time. The nature of negatives is that they
will scratch in direct proportion to their value.
</unrelated to the topic>
William Robb