The AF sensor apparatus is in the mirror box behind the mirror, but
the metering sensors read the light coming from the focusing screen.

I tested my *ist DS KatzEye screen in the K10D. At that time, there
wasn't a dedicated K10D screen available yet. The K10D demonstrated an
average metering calibration shift such that the exposure was off by
0.7 EV on a standard metering target (gray card) in all modes. I
talked to Rebecca Katz about this.

My decision was that I didn't need a screen given the K10D screen
quality. Rebecca and company might well have done some revisions to
the K10D specific screens since then.

Godfrey