"Ok, I outwaited it. It does boot eventually, but the Drobo really slows
it down. Next time I start it up I'll time it. I know that with the
drobo unattached, it takes the thing within a few seconds of a minute to
be ready to go."

Bill, can you just turn it on and off as needed for backup? Or does it
have to be turned on at startup?

Most of the time I am word processing or doing emails. My main hard
drive is fine for those, and when I need to I still use a floppy drive
to back up such files. Processing photos is a luxury when I have time.
So I need a backup device that does not need to be on all the time. My
current USB hard drive just goes on and off when I ask it to.

Thanks,

Joe