Hi Leon,

yes. You can hardly move in the British Isles without tripping over a
stone circle of some sort. Probably the best within easy reach (about
3 hours) of London is Avebury, which is an entire neolithic complex
that appears to have been at the epicentre of the trade routes of the
day - several ridge paths seem to converge there.

Avebury is much more interesting than Stonehenge. Close by you also
have West Kennet Long Barrow, Silbury Hill, the Ridgeway, Windmill
Hill and much more.

There's an atmospheric photo of part of the circle here:
http://www.sacredsites.com/europe/england/avebury.html

The National Trust site:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-aveb
ury/

It's well worth spending a day or 2 visiting. I like it in winter when
there's snow or frost on the ground. There's a wonderful circular walk
of about 5-6 miles which takes in all the main sites and is easily
completed within a few hours in a pair of stout boots and thick socks.

Bob