In a message dated 12/4/01 10:42:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> > I agree 1000%.  Until I can do everything with digital I can with
> > film, until I can take digital media into a good lab and get great
> > results, I am not inclined to invest any further in it.  Let's see...
> > I can spend my time messing wth software and printers, or I can let
> > someone else do that part while I'm out pressing the shutter release.
>
> "Valid points, but you *can* do this with good labs."

Yes, but the expense is outrageously unreasonable for just a few prints.

> always argue that the price of printers, paper and ink
> need to be factored into comparing digital and film cameras?"

Precisely because you don't need the above to see prints. You don't even need
a computer: go to the drugstore-etc., open package and look. And why do
digital advocates always assume that "Granny" has a computer or some other
means to see their ofttimes shabby product?

> good minilab into the purchase of your film
> camera?"

That's a Shibboleth.

"If you don't want to print them yourself, take the files to a good lab and
let them do
> it...just like film.  Don's Photo, for example, charges the same for prints
> from digital files as from film.  This isn't a rant against you, Tom, but
> against those people who criticize digital cameras because of problems with
> home printing."

Another good reason to shoot film: ~you~ only need a camera and eyes to shoot
and Granny only need eyes to view them, the way it's been for more than a
one-hundred years.

What did ~you~ do before you had a digital? In that regard, the "digital is
equal to or better than film" argument falls squarely on its expensive face.
Those who argue the convenience of small format digital, without considering
the cost to an individual, disregard one fundamental fact: small format
digital owners pay, in terms of replacing or upgrading equipment, ink-etc.,
huge sums of money to get what are essentially dinky home printed images.
Small format digital printing is expensive and for the most part, SUX.