Mike wrote:

>The only effort to standardize chip size that I'm aware of is being led by
>Kodak, who are urging adoption of a 4/3rds-inch chip size. Small chip sizes,
>far from being a dead end, will are what will be used in consumer cameras.
>The market for these will be vast--actually, already is--and hardly a dead
>end.

Sure, but I was talking about SLR's that use lenses from the 35mm systems.
There's no point having lenses covering  a much larger circle than
necessary. It's like  using medium format lenses on 35mm on a permanent
basis. Surely its a inelegant solution.
I'm sure there will be smaller chips for P&S and slr's as well using APS
system (or similar)  lenses.

> > Secondly, the D30 (is it really successful?) will be laughed out of the
> > market within a year or simply given away. It's like buying a 286 computer
> > at an absurd price.
>
>Yes, it has certainly been successful, and I just think your assessment of
>it here is utterly wrong. We simply disagree, which is no problem, but I
>disagree completely.

Suvess is relative. I'm sure the D30 is sucessful in its market segment but
the fact is, to my knowledge at least, that digital slr's have a very small
fraction of the market. It hasn't really taken off yet. I'm sure it will
though, but then we need something a lot better than the D30.

> > Frankly, we are now in the very early days of digital cameras. I would
> > personally stay away from the first generation digital slr's unless you
> > need it in your work.
>
>Pal, we are far, far past the first generation. These may be early days but
>they are certainly not VERY early days.
>
> > The market is extremely small
>
>It is?!?!? The camera makers who are putting entire development budgets into
>cameras that will have 2-3 year production lifespans would be interested to
>hear this. In fact, the market is wide open, growing by leaps and bounds,
>and very likely to dominate in the not very distant future.

See above. The market for digital cameras are exploding passing the 50%
mark in marked share in some countries. However, SLR's with interchangeable
lenses is still only tiny fraction of the digital market, let alone the SLR
market.
I'm sure this market will take off at some point and pretty soon as well.

> > If you want a D30, by all means go ahead. Personally I would be grossly
> > disappointed if Pentax release anything remotely like the D30.
>
>I cannot disagree more. The D30 is all the camera that most digital
>photographers are EVER likely to need. If Pentax could duplicate its quality
>for 1/2 to 2/3rds the price and make use of K-mount lenses it would have a
>sure winner on its hands in no time.

You are going to eat those words one day. Its like those who once said that
4Mbyte of ram is all you ever going to need. I'm certain that at some point
in the not so distant future most of us will wonder why anyone bought the
D30 and how they could be happy with the result it produce.
I'm certain that digital slr's are in their infancy at present and that the
current prices will be seen as outrageous in a not so distant future.
Hnece, they are questionable investments.

Pål