On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 8:55 PM, William Robb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Godfrey DiGiorgi" Subject: Re: Camera
> Envy
>

>> I played with the D3 at an NPPA workshop last year. Delightful beast.  And
>> I mean beast.
>>
>> I'd not want to haul that large a camera around much, not for what I  like
>> to do. It's simply too big, and I don't need that level of  capture speed.
>> The D700 seems a lot nicer for my needs, but even it is  much bigger than
>> what I normally carry.
>
> Size and weight wise, the D3 reminded very much of my Pentax 6x7. Even the
> Sigma zoom lens they guy had on it was monsterous.
> The thing is very big.
> The D300 isn't a pygmy by any means either.
>
> William Robb

The D3's actually smaller than, and about the same weight as my old
F3HP with MD-4 drive. High-end 35mm kit is pretty monstrous, mostly
due to the huge batteries required to do more than 5-6fps. Ditto the
f2.8 zooms that tend to be on them.

The D300/D700's a nice size, I carried mine daily for 8 months before
the necessity to haul a laptop and texts as well drove me to buying a
D40.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca