From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
John Celio
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:35 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: RE: ANY M42 DSLR rumors (yet)?

Leica is an exception, but for good reason: their M system is used
primarily by professionals and wealthy amateurs who are more concerned
with status symbols than convenience.  Also, if I recall correctly,
Leica has been on the brink of bankruptcy for ages.  They're not exactly
a good example of old tech turning a big profit.

John

I've an opinion on this too. (Full of 'em tonight! :-D

Does anyone believe Leica's bodies and lenses justify their obscene prices, from a manufacturing and assembly cost standpoint? Is there THAT much labor in either one?

Are they essentially hand made, like some outrageously expensive cars are? Some of the well-known marques are essentially hand made and hand fit, with incredible number of man-hours in them. Is it like that way with Leica? At least their renown M series rangefinders and lenses?

It seems to me they're on the perpetual brink of bankruptcy because they're too bloody expensive except for those professionals (well off or otherwise) who simply must have a Leica, not because they're honestly that good...
Capable and durable? So it seems, but worth the tab? That's the question.
It seems you're primarily paying for the name, as with many products, but the purchase price of a Leica seems untoward, for what you're getting...

Just my opinion...not necessarily the truth. <g>

keith whaley