Frank, I own the Bessa L (no rangefinder/needs an lens-specific viewfinder)
with the Snapshot Skopar 25mm f4.  True, the body is plasticky, but the lens
is worth the price of the whole kit.  I'll get the 15mm eventually.  In
terms of shutter noise, I don't think the camera was ever intended on being
Leica-like, only Leica-ready.  My ME Super is probably as quiet, maybe more
so.  But it is a funky camera, good for a conversation whenever it goes out,
and not "threatening" as an SLR might be (as it is just plain goofy looking
to the general population).

I got mine from B&H when they were having a "special", selling them for
US$129.00 (body only).

Best regards,

Chris

Frank thanked the respondents:

Thanks for your responses.  I surfed around the web a bit last night, and
much of what you three said was confirmed in various reviews.

Turns out the body's plastic (a camera shop selling them steered me wrong).
They also seem to have variable quality from sample to sample, as some have
found them quite noisy for a rangefinder, while others haven't.

And the lenses have been almost universally praised (plus, I guess, you can
stick old Leica screwmounts on them if you want/can afford to).