Bob W wrote:
Difference of opinion, suppose. I find what you wrote above an insult to every author who ever wrote. I read for the words and ideas of the writer and I'm quite confident that's why authors want to be read.

the text is obviously the most important aspect of reading, but every writer
I've ever met has also been a reader and has been in love with books. Most
of the great novelists have at some time in their career written about the
joys of books in much the same terms that Marnie and I have been using.

Yes, but it's entirely separate from, and secondary to, the *writing*.

Neither you nor George Orwell would buy Danielle Steele novels no matter how magnificent the paper, printing and binding.

And you would still love George Orwell's writing if it were only available in cheap paperback form.