> > the text is obviously the most important aspect of reading,
> but every writer
> > I've ever met has also been a reader and has been in love
> with books. Most
> > of the great novelists have at some time in their career
> written about the
> > joys of books in much the same terms that Marnie and I have
> been using.
>
> Yes, but it's entirely separate from, and secondary to, the *writing*.

Sure, but ebooks are about reading and readers, not about writing, so I
don't get your point.

> Neither you nor George Orwell would buy Danielle Steele
> novels no matter
> how magnificent the paper, printing and binding.

You may have stumbled up on my guilty secret!

> And you would still love George Orwell's writing if it were only
> available in cheap paperback form.

That's how I first read it. But even cheap paperbacks are part of the ritual
of browsing, choosing and reading, and it's this ritual associated with
being a reader that the Kindles (and you, as far as I can tell) don't seem
to understand.

Bob