In a message dated 3/31/2009 11:24:57 A.M.  Pacific Daylight Time,
war...@gmail.com writes:
Didn't Canon do that already?

William Robb

==========
Yes. I used to have the 300D (first  digital rebel). It basically used 10D
software with features disabled. Then a  Russian hacker came up with "patches"
you could upload to your camera that would  enable disabled features -- like
mirror lock up. Not all things could be enabled  (not all features were
supported in the Rebel), but a surprising number  could.

Canon did not make that same mistake again. (I.E. The Rebel series  got its
own line of software after that. Pretty sure, anyway. I haven't heard  about
anyone being able to hack subsequent Rebels anyway.)

I always meant  to hack my camera, but never did. (One could save the
original firmware, for  reuploading if one were to sell it later. Also the
original
firmware was  available on the Net.)

Marnie aka Doe  :-)

Warning: I am now  filtering my email, so you may be censored.

recession.