Optical viewfinder yes, compact no. The D50 is an older Nikon DSLR. I
suspect you're referring to the P50, which should be avoided. Nikon's
P&S production of the last few years start at bad and get rapidly
worse.

Optical finders are dying off. Mostly because P&S finders are typically horrid.

-Adam

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca