So you are saying that lots of brains and experience dumbs us out when we
get a motordrive? Get real. Take a look at all the great football pictures
from the 60's. Most game shots were done with early Pentax or Nikon
motordrive cameras. You see anything close up from the 50's and 60's and you
can bet in most cases it was staged not game film.
It actually takes as much or more skill to do action photography as a real
photographer as opposed to a hack shooter. Remember you get to see what you
are going to shoot very clearly right in front of you. Because it is not
shot "in the moment" when time is really critical. We not only have to put
ourselves in the right place we have to visualize in our heads the shot or
potential shot we want to get. Because it happens too fast in most cases to
have the luxury of setting it up perfectly. Heck anybody can take a decent
shot when the subject is right in front of them if they remember some basic
rules. Try composing a potential shot in your head not knowing whether it
will happen or not. Knowing that the moment is so fleeting that your brain
can't compose the shot fast enough or it will be gone. So each time frame of
the moment can be divided into an almost infinite number of potential shots.
But if you shoot by hand you can only get one of those moments per second
and it may not be exactly the shot you imagined. At 3 FPS you still miss
lots of potential moments happening between the shots. At 10 FPS you miss
even less of them.
They called it "Life" magazine for a reason. Photographs of things in motion
are pictures of life. Photographs of things staged or posed are just
pictures of things, be they living beings or inanimate objects.
There is a reason why magazine photographers use motordrives in a model
shoot. They let the model move just giving pointers. They generally shoot as
fast as they can. Because the movement of features, hair, and clothing are
what gives the shots the illusion of life. And to do that they have to
continually shoot.
Portraits on the other hand are not pictures of life. If done well they are
pictures of how life has effected the subject. And that is art also. Just
not my kind of art.
If Ansel Adams shot a picture of a gorgeous Western landscape I'd consider
the picture full of the majesty of creation, but not of life. On the
otherhand the same landscape with a thundering herd of wild horses moving
across it I would consider a picture of life. And if I have to use a
motordrive camera instead of an 8x10 plate camera to get my shot
successfully then what I do is no less photographic art that what he did (or
my brother does now).
I've had a 35mm camera in my hands continually for almost 40 years. I'm the
son of a late superb amateur travel photographer (and WWII photographer when
he wasn't shooting). And the brother of a full time working pro who has
published 2 books of his own and teaches his art. So I have some idea what
constitutes good photo art. You should tag along sometime when we walk
through somebody else's show critiquing their photos. And I'm not perfect.
My brother still thinks I need more people in my selections.
Kent Gittings