John Whittingham wrote:

Hi Ann

Good to here you back, are you sure they're Great Bluie Herons? All the
information I have points to grey. Maybe it's a geographical thing. Thanks for
the comments, I went back yesterday but only got a fleeting glance of the
Heron. I was really looking to catch the elusive Kingfishers there but no luck,
came away with a photo of a Damselfly amongst others.

Best regards,

John

Oh ... I didn't really think about where you live..
_Ardea Herodias_ is the latin name for ours.... I can state unequivocally( pardon the pomp) that Joe McAlister's birdie is our Great Blue (because he photo'ed his in the USA , but I stand corrected on your's - which is _ Ardea cinera_ - damn they look alike to me... "country"cousins, apprently.

Haven't found yet a piece on the subtle differences - all I can think of seeing "cinera" is the poem by the poet
who reputedly died falling off a barstool.... whose initials are E D..hehe.

So yeah, it appears to be geographical beyond just a common name variance. But "Elusive kingfisher" hmmm - I can't seem to find a specific reference to. Is it a new subspecies? (ann ducks)

Hope I can keep in the loop and do a bit more than "lurk" - so many good folk here. I counted the names of the people in the Annual who I had been fortunate enough to meet in person at least once - there were 24! plus a few who are or used to be on list but have no photos in the book.
Look forward to you finding the kingfisher.

best,
ann