----- Original Message ----- From: "paul stenquist"
Subject: Re: Consumer Reports on "cool cameras"

He had it completely wrong. Consumer Reports recommends all Toyotas and no GM cars. For the most part, they're apologists for any car made outside the U.S. In my opinion J.D. Power is much more accurate. I worked with them over they years, and they were untouchable at any price. They gave very high grades to GM cars.

I guess the questions are:

What are their criteria? Is it initial owner impression or is it long term reliability?
Are they testing the vehicles to failure or depending on consumer feedback?
If it's consumer feedback, there is still a large contingent of people with the "my great grand daddy drove a Ford, my grand daddy drove a Ford, my daddy drove a Ford, and by gumm, I'm not about to plunk my ass into the drivers seat of a Sake burner" attitude around my neck of the woods, though it seems to be more of a half ton truck driver's mental illness.

I had an uncle in Montana who wouldn't have a Japanese car on his driveway. He'd fought them as a marine in WWII, and as far as he was concerned, the war wasn't over, it's just the shooting that had ended.
He was pretty uncomfortable when I showed up on his doorstep driving a BMW.
Probably if he hadn't been standing on his doorstep at the time it would have been better for him.

Around here, there are a lot more old Toyotas still on the road than old GMs Fords or Chryslers, so I'm not sure what they would be apologizing for on Toyota's behalf. They seem to make a pretty long lived automobile.

William Robb