J.D. Power does a variety of research studies. They measure initial satisfaction three year satisfaction and long term durability among other things. Initial Satisfaction tends to be a measure of dealership schmoozing more than anything else. The U.S. guys used to get killed on that, but they learned from the Japanese, and now many excel-- GM dealers in particular. American carmakers always did fairly well in long term durability, in spite of what you might hear. These days they do even better. I believe that three of the top six brands in durability were American in the last surveys.

In terms of people defending their brand, other studies show that import buyers are much more likely to do that than are American car buyers. It's PC to drive an import. It's uncool to drive an American car. I used to write a column for the service industry. It appeared in Hearst's Motor magazine, and it was called "Troubleshooter." The idea was to help service people with problems they couldn't solve. I had access to all the engineers and factory bulletins and tried to sort things out for the guys in the field. Our audience was largely domestic service people, but I got plenty of letters from import mechanics as ell. I rarely got letters from consumers -- with two notable exceptions. Honda and Peugeot. Honda owners were very distraught about recurring head gasket problems on Civics. But they always prefaced their complaint with praise for their car and a profession of deep love. They were all sure that they're car was an exception and all the other Hondas were problem free. Peugeot owners had myriad problems, and once in a while one of them would search out my phone number and call me. They were begging for help. Everything went wrong with those cars. But, still, they loved them. Go figure.

Car research can be very misleading, because there's a lot going on. But in the states, the intelligentsia drive imports. It's part of their calling card. They won't be caught dead in an American made car. Their prejudices are based on bullshit, but they're powerful.
Paul