Scott Loveless wrote:

On 6/5/09, mike wilson <m.9.wil...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

Wow.  Not even a hint of HD.  How unpatriotic.

The last time I looked at an HD was in the mid-90s and the
middle-aged, gold card bikers had pretty much driven the price through
the roof.  If you could even find a bike on a showroom floor it was
marked up about 20% over MSRP plus it had about $3000 worth of
accessory chrome stuck to it.  Guys like me who just wanted a
motorcycle bought Japanese and European bikes because we could get one
without getting bent over.

From what I understand, over the last few years HD has been producing
more bikes than their dealers can sell.  My wife's cousin was recently
laid off from the York plant.  What's happened is that the gold card
crowd is getting too old to ride, or they've just lost interest in it,
but there's no one to replace them.  Those of us who should be buying
their bikes were laughed at 15 years ago when we tried to negotiate a
fair price on the damn things.  I won't forget the way I was treated
by HD's dealers and it will be a cold day in hell before you see me on
one.

Pretty much the same here. There was the same scenario with the lumpen new mini (sorry MINI) although that vehicle didn't have the pseudo pirate lifestyle thing attached to it.