I'm almost sure the 95mm is the filter ring on the removable hood not the
lens barrel.
Kent Gittings

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Paul F. Stregevsky
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2002 7:00 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: CZJ Sonnar 300/4: three varieties? switchable mount?

I've been thinking about getting a Carl Zeiss Jena 300/4 Sonnar in M42
mount. I've seen its filter size described as 77mm, 86mm, and 95mm:

The 77mm version focuses to 3 m, weighs 1,950 g, and has 5 elements in 3
groups. It was made from the 1960s through 1980s; multicoating began in the
mid 1970s.

The 86mm version is the Carl Zeiss Jena Auto S Auto MC Electric (or
something like that). It focuses to 4 m, weighs 1,650 g, and has 6 elements
in 5 groups. It is praised on Nathan Dayton's site,
http://www.commiecameras.com, on this page:
http://www.commiecameras.com/ddr/p6/lenses/index.htm

The 95mm version is a Carl Zeiss Jena that I know nothing about. I just
know that it's mentioned as 95mm on one of the four current EBay listings:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1316507457 (Pentacon
6 mount)

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1315207641 (Praktica
bayonet mount--however you spell it)

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1315956584 (Pentacon
6 mount; mentions the 95mm filter)

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1315956584 (Exakta
mount)

Should I consider only the 86mm version--definitely autoaperture, so
modern? Can it definitely be fitted with (or found with) an M42 mount?

And what can anyone tell me about the 95mm version?

Then there is the issue of the mounts. I know that if I want it to be M42,
it must be a Praktica mount. But weren't those old mounts replaceable?
Wrote one user: "Most of these [old CZJs] have a coarse screw-thread into
which the actual camera adaptor screws, a remnant of its design as a lens
for use on the old Contax RF Flektoskop and Flektometer reflex housings.  A
lens like this can be readily adapted by the fabrication of a new adaptor."

The last thing I want is to buy a Pentacon to M42 adaptor, then try to fit
onto it an M42-to-K adaptor. But can't I essentially unscrew the Pentacon
or Exacta mount and screw in a CZJ M42 mount (maybe $60?), giving me
essentially a "made-for-M42" lens?

Paul Franklin Stregevsky
13 Selby Court
Poolesville, Maryland 20837-2410