----- Original Message ----- From: "Boris Liberman"
Subject: FA 50/1.4 trouble

Hi guys.

After some deliberation I decided to shell $250 for brand new FA
50/1.4 for my daughter. It arrived some days ago, and it says made in
Vietnam. Now, I don't have anything against it except that this lens
is soft at f/8 outdoors focused manually by the split screen. It is
going back to B&H but honestly, I am very disheartened by this. This
is something that should be just flawless, but it is anything but(t).

*sigh*

Look at all the trouble DP Review had in aquiring a good copy of the DA*55/1.4. Seriously though, Pentax appears to be treating quality control as a consumer responsibility, with little or no QC being done during the manufactuing process. It wouldn't be so bad were it not for their lack of visibility in stores making it necessary to buy their product via mail order and then forcing the customer to deal with return methods that are inconvenient, expensive and time consuming. I had hoped that their recent jacking up of prices would have a coressponding relationship to quality control, as when one pays more money for something, there is an expectation of increased quality.

William Robb