According to the people I deal with at my local independent camera store, Pentax dropped them, not the other way around. Pentax will not accept orders from them any longer. They told me Pentax didn't even offer them the option of "you have to stock X amount if you want to remain a dealer"; just a "don't call us, we ain't gonna be calling you."

So far as I can tell, there are still no local dealers in North Carolina. Charlotte, NC is still showing Wolf Camera as a Pentax dealer, but other than that it's all Sam's Club and Wal-mart. The local Wolf's Camera says they can't order it, and it's not available on-line through Wolf/Ritz, although it looks like they still have a stock of K20D, K200 and K2000.

If I put the Greensboro, NC zip code into the store locater, it gives me a map of Sweden right down near Denmark, but no local retailers.

Don't know about Sam's Club, but Wal-mart sure ain't got 'em. Don't even have the K2000.

The other day, just out of curiosity, I went into one of the Raleigh, NC Wal-marts that Pentax's find a retailer application brings up. The salesperson in the "camera department" had never even heard of Pentax.