On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 09:41:14AM -0400, Adam Maas wrote:

> PS getting better multi-core support would reduce the other major
> bottleneck. Right now PS doesn't handle more than 2 cores very well.

Personally I suspect that the real performance gains to come in
PhotoShop aren't going to be from multi-thread operations in the CPU;
they'll come from massively parallel operations running in GPUs with
dedicated fast memory paths.

Today that's only really possible with high-end graphics cards, but
more and more of that functionality is going to migrate down to the
midrange.  It won't be long before any graphics card that you'd even
consider for PhotoShop will have a hundred or more GPU cores.