On a side note: any info about Shel? I haven't heard of him for ages. I rather miss our gentlemen's disagreement.
Dario

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dario Bonazza" <dario.bona...@virgilio.it>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 9:52 PM
Subject: Re: OT: Sony Releases A850 FF Camera for $2,000

Mark Roberts wrote:

paul stenquist wrote:

I don't think Pentax will HAVE to go full frame. The 645D will fill
the bill as a high end flagship.

Good lord, even the most wildly optimistic price predictions for the
645D have it costing roughly equal to a Canon 1Ds-III! As of this week
35mm full-frame is $2000 and by this time next year it will be
approaching $1500.

I agree. Here I repeat a concept I've been stressing for years (any of you remembering my discussions with Shel long time ago?), but I haven't repeated over the last years, so it's worth doing now. In my view, in practice APS is the "new" small format (which once used to be 35mm film), 24 x 36 is the current medium format and everything above that is large format. That reflects in performance, pricing and diffusion of the different formats. However, since APS and FF are based on the same bodies/mounts (unlike 35mm and MF film systems), there's an unprecedented opportunity to merge systems and reduce price gap. That's just a big plus, due to more tech exchange between systems of different formats. Anyway, needing two lens outfits for covering two systems still makes sense. So there's no scandal in owning a K-7 and its relevant lens/accessories outfit together with say a Nikon D700 and its outfit, if needed. Why not? I believe that also building two kits within a single make will require two lens outfits in most cases...

Dario