On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 10:46:20PM -0400, Adam Maas wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 9:28 PM, John Francis<jo...@panix.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm in the process of switching over to a new machine. ?I was
> > planning to upgrade both Lightroom and Photoshop Elements to
> > the latest version, but Adobe just made the decision a little
> > trickier - I can upgrade from Elements to CS4 for only $299.
> >
> > Assuming I stick with Lightroom (so the organizer part of CS4
> > isn't going to offer me a great deal, and I won't have any use
> > for Camera Ra)) what are the additional features of CS4 that I
> > might find useful? ?Or should I just stick with Elements V7?
> >

> The biggest advantages are full implementations of curves, layers and
> colour management along with the full ACR implementation.
>
> -Adam

Well, it turned out to be moot - my version of elements was just too
old to be eligible for the upgrade (I was still using V3), so I took
the cheap way out, and upgraded to Elements V7 for a mere $42!

So far I've only played with it a little bit, but the first thing to
strike me was just how much more control there was in ACR compared to
the rudimentary implementations in PSE3 or Lightroom V1.  It's going
to take me a little while to learn how to use all the new features.
Then I'm going to have to go back and reconvert some old images ...

I assume that I'll get at least as much control in Lightroom V2;
that's going to get installed on the new machine, too.  But that
will almost certainly have to wait until I get back from the UK.

There are a lot of other new-to-me things in PSE7, so I've got more
than enough learning to do before I even think about Lightroom. But
at least I've got Scott Kelby's book to help me educate myself.