For me the 55-300 is a hard decision.  I loved how compact the 50-200
(which I think you have) is, but since I had the 50-135, the former
had to go.  I have the 80-320, but there's a gap between my everyday
16-45, thus the need/want/useability(?sp) of the 55-300.

It was a rental and has now gone back.  If the price were right, maybe
I'd buy one but I'm caught between using the 50-135 (weighty but great
lens) and the 55-300 - I don't want to choose!

My style of shooting I guess is two lenses - the 16-45 and something
longer.  The longer lens is still to be determined.

I used the 55-300 at the National Zoo and am still reviewing photos,
so will post something later.