From: herb greenslade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Pentax User's group <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2002 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: Pentax 28mm shift lens

> Hi
> A little background for Rob
>
> Years ago I got the brilliant idea of scratch building my own model homes
(for model railraod) from photos taken on my
> travels. Although this hasn't as yet materialized, I got interested in in
just shooting old houses. This interest has further been
> developed after reading a book on the history of Canadian architecture.
Obviously, at some point city buildings came into
> perspective.
>
> With small town  and country homes, one crosses the road, stands back some
and usually with a 70-210 zoom, there is little
> distortion, and what little there is can be corrected in Photoshop. The
problem starts becoming serious when one has to use
> a 35mm or wider to capture a large building or a store front on a narrow
street. There are limitations using Photoshop, as a
> major correction compresses buildings and/or distorts other parts of the
image.

> My understanding is that the shift lens is really a compromise, as to do
real corrections, the film plane also must be adjusted.

> What I'd like to know,
> Do you feel that you got full value from the lens, as the lens is very
expensive.
> Are you satisfied with the results.
> Do you find the lens awkward to use (I understand that it uses a double
aperture system)
> If for the same amount of money, you had a chance to buy a 400-500 mm lens
and your interest is also nature, which lens