On Jan 20, 2010, at 11:47 AM, Dario Bonazza wrote:

P N Stenquist wrote:

On Jan 20, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Dario Bonazza wrote:

Steffen Zahn wrote:

Really? Is there no AF indicator in the finder of the K-x? Even my K100D
has that, which is also an entry level camera.

The K-x has no indication of the selected AF point, while focus confirmation is there. Sorry for the lack of precision.

That wouldn't work at all for me. I'm constantly changing the selected point and locating it on my subject. Can't imagine how anyone can shoot without it.

You can revert to the old technique of center-spot AF, AF lock and recompose. Not always the quickest and most effective way to shoot, but doable. Before Pentax fixed the AF-selection bug, I did that with the K-7.

To me, it reduces the camera to point and shoot status or, at best, manual focus only.

That's the main reason for me asking a K-7 with K-x sensor/ processor. However, the K-7 AF point selection is not as good as the K20D one, as you risk to enable Live View all the time while trying to change the AF point. It happened to me several times while testing the K-7. After some trial & error, such a disaster no longer happened so often, but the fear was enough to slower my K-7 operability at eye level, while the K20D is faultless in that respect.

Yes, I turned on live view a few times when I first started using the K7D, but like anything else, I got used to it. Now, more than 10K frames later it's not a problem at all.

I don't like the focus and recompose solution, because you change the distance to the focal point when you recompose. When shooting wide open with fast glass, that's enough to throw the critical point out of focus.
Paul

Dario