> Artur, In my very non-professional opinion, Kodak Tri-X and D-76 make an
> excellent film developer combo for those just beginning b&w.  My first batch
> of Tri-X I'm sure was way off specs for temperature and time but I still got
> acceptable results.

Evan, I'll second my professional opinion as a photo educator and former
photo magazine editor. Tri-X in D-76 may not be everybody's choice (it is
mine, BTW), but it's a great choice to start with. It's friendly and
forgiving, and yields good results with ordinary care.

I shoot Tri-X 400 at E.I. 200, and hand develop 3 rolls at a time in a
4-reel tank with a generous airspace, using D-76 diluted one-to-one with
water. At 68 degrees, I develop for 8.5 minutes agitating by inversion once
per minute. This gives nice, fully exposed, easily printable negatives.

If you like more grain, use a condenser enlarger; if you like less grain,
use a diffusion enlarger. Bear in mind that most enlarger light sources are
neither fully diffuse nor collimated. The range from most diffuse to least
looks something like this:

Cold light
Dichroic-style (quartz bulb with mixing box, i.e., color enlargers, Leitz
V35)
Large frosted bulb with single condenser (i.e., most Dursts)
Large frosted bulb with multiple condensers (Omega D series, etc.)
True condensing (e.g., Leitz Focomat II)
Point source enlargers

I prefer dichroic-style enlargers or standard Dursts (non-VC heads) with
Tri-X.

--Mike

"Photography is simple. The only complicated thing is keeping it simple."
(Ken Archer)

* * *
Find out about Mike Johnston's unique photography newsletter, "The 37th
Frame," at http://www.37thframe.com.