> Some other points: AFAIK, this is an unmoderated list, and as such, aside
> from posters putting forth their views and arranging a vote on the issue,
> there is no likelihood of any enforcement. Upshot: factions result, with
> some posters being antagonised, others disenchanted. Some may block
> senders posts. Others may unsubscribe - - why?

Cotty,
I agree totally. If "we" agree on some standard of behavior, then every time
somebody doesnąt conform, a certain subset of list members get their noses
out of joint and try to enforce the unenforceable. And then pretty soon
we're all at each other's throats, we've polarized into small factions...and
suddenly the Pentax List has become the Leica List, God forbid. <s>

For instance, what if I proposed that we ban this thread and four people
agreed with me? Has the entire PDML then "agreed" not to talk about eBay?
Would I and my four cohorts be justified in scolding anybody who continued
to talk about eBay?

I think everybody should just continue to do exactly what they want to--if
they want to post a notice about something being available, they should. If
they want to ignore those notices (I for one find them tiresome), they
should. If something you're bidding on gets posted to the list, it's no
guarantee that any list member is going to have any interest, and certainly
no guarantee that any list member is going to outbid you. And, if they do, I
say "tough luck."

One thing is for sure--this thread is deadly dull!

--Mike