On 2010-05-06 12:58, John Francis wrote:

[...] putting yourself in front of thousands of pounds of projectiles that
are moving of speeds up to two hundred miles an hour isn't overly smart.

Plus you're "tunnel visioned" and "tunnel attentioned" whenever you're looking down the viewfinder, so you might not realize something nasty is coming your way. I'm always very nervous when I'm on the hot side of the fences, even when I'm behind a barrier.

And when I'm not shooting or driving the races, I work them as a corner marshal, so I spend a lot of time on the hot side of the fences, sometimes beyond the barriers, too. But when I'm "working corners", I have at least one other person with me so we can cover each others' backs, and I'm not staring down the snoot of a camera.

My quotation about trying not to get killed from the last PDML Quotations list was most definitely not tongue-in-cheek or exaggeration.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)