On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Cory Waters <cbwat...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I have lightroom on my macbook and also on my desktop.  I usually do most of
> my work on my desktop but occsionally, like when I'm away from home, I'll
> upload photos to my laptop to clear my flash cards and have a look at what's
> I've got.  It's no problem then to copy those photos over to my desktop on my
> home network and import them into my desktop library.  I just go to the
> folder with the photos from the appropriate dates and plant it in the correct
> folder on the other box.  When I import them into the library, they get
> coppied to my NAS for another safety copy.
> The hitch here is:  I'm likely to have made changes to the photo like
> keywords, developing adjustments, or selection to a collection while I was
> looking at them on the laptop.  Is there any way to import the photos to my
> desktop library with the changes?
> I'd also like to mirror my collections from the laptop on the desktop.  I'll
> be picking photos from my trip to, I duno, lets say uhhhh Chicago? that I
> want to put up on my Smugmug page but when I get home, the only way I know of
> to get that "collection" on my desktop is to make a list of file #s in the
> collection and manually select them again.

- When I go traveling with the laptop, I create a new Lightroom
catalog on the laptop that I import work to for the duration of the
trip. The image files are stored in a directory structure identical to
what I use on my main system, eg:

~/Photo_Files/YYYY/in_progress/YYYYMMDD[-tag]/filename.RAW
~/Photo_Files/YYYY/in_progress/YYYYMMDD+1[-tag]/filename.RAW

etc, where "tag" is an optional mnemonic like "NYC" or "Mt_Rushmore"
just to help me locate things in the file system.

- The LR catalog, like all my LR catalogs, is stored in a separate
subdirectory, e.g.:

~/Photo_Files/Catalogs/YYMM-{trip_name}

where I name the trip by destination ... say "1005-NYC_family" if I
were to jump to NY city this month.

- Once I return to my desk, I copy all the image file folders made on
the trip to my desktop system and the main file repository there. I
also copy the catalog folder from the trip to the desktop system into
its matching Catalogs folder.

- I then open the trip catalog on the desktop and use the
right/control click command in the Folder view to locate the root of
the file repository on the desktop. Lightroom will then know where all
the files for that catalog are.

- And finally, I open my main working catalog and "Import from
Catalog" the entire trip catalog.

All image files keywords, adjustments and history, virtual copies,
collections, etc., are now incorporated into the main catalog and the
working file repository on my desktop system. At this point I quit
Lightroom and run my standard backup script which updates the archive
system with all the new and revised files. After I do that, I can
delete the trip catalog and files from the laptop, as well as the trip
catalog from the desktop.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com